Niger

Niger
Millet Fields in Rainy Season

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Big Bugs (for Sean Tierney)

I know now why Nigeriens don't take showers later than 8pm, besided the fact that Jinns live in bathrooms and dirty places and multiply at night. While stepping into my small square sanctuary to bathe I battled hordes of cockroaches. No problem though, just one of many small hurdles (no pun intended). It's worth it to look up at the stars and enjoy the cool water in the warm night air.
After the wonderful bucket bath I talked about the big bugs all around and pointed one out to my host mom, who's approaching 60 years young, and she immediately stomps it with the ball of her foot. Then a big beetle happens to come into view and she grabs it with here fingers, it's the size of a quarter, and then throws it over the concession wall, brushes he hands together like a dealer leaving the table, smiles and laughs. The family proceeds to tell me I can do it, too, then they laugh because they know I just let bugs do their thing - maybe after a few more months.
Since I'm talking about bugs I will say that depending on the size of the bug I may or may not kill it. Depending on my mood I will even search out and destroy its family. Big bugs seem to be harder to kill, emotionally and physically. Maybe I can't kill bugs that really fstartle me, i.e. big bugs. Especially the dive bombers. Once I stepped on a beetle in stride with my heel, and all my weight was transferred onto him. I felt terrible as it happened then when I lifted my foot, he ran away. Whew!!

No comments:

Post a Comment